Cockroaches force closing of Bob Evans

September 28, 2018

Bob Evans in southwest Fort Wayne closed Thursday after health inspectors found dozens of cockroaches in the restaurant, including among food being prepared on the kitchen line, according to the inspection report.

It’s the second restaurant on the city’s southwest side to close this week because of roaches.

The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health received a complaint Wednesday directing inspectors to check under the cooking area of the Village of Coventry restaurant.

“Cockroaches : treating it themselves,” the complaint said. “Don’t want public to know but they can’t get rid of them.”

The restaurant declined to comment when reached by phone Thursday afternoon.

Along with a can of roach spray on the ice machine, inspectors found “harborage conditions” and cockroaches running across the kitchen floor; among clean plates; and among food being prepared, the report states.

Traps contained more than 40 live cockroaches, inspectors reported, noting dead cockroaches were also in the restaurant.

The report indicated Bob Evans received treatments from a pest control company throughout September, including on Wednesday.

The eatery must meet eight requirements to reopen. Mandates include having the facility treated by a professional pest control company; removing all dead and dying cockroaches; filling holes in the walls; and cleaning food debris from multiple areas, according to the report.

No food preparation or deliveries will be accepted during the closure, the report states.

The restaurant was directed to contact the health department for a follow-up inspection once the requirements are met and no live or dead pests are seen.

Bob Evans’ closure happened a day after nearby Casa Ristorante on West Jefferson Boulevard briefly closed while a pest control company dealt with roaches.

The health department discovered the pests about 1:30 p.m. Wednesday around a drain and inside an electrical panel, which prompted the restaurant’s closing.

None of the six roaches were near food, a restaurant spokesman has said. Casa reopened about three hours later.


Update hourly