Hawaii sex abuse suit against TV executive dropped
HONOLULU (AP) — A former aspiring actor and model who claimed in four lawsuits that entertainment industry figures sexually abused him during trips to Hawaii in 1999 withdrew another case on Wednesday.
Without explanation, attorneys for Michael Egan III filed court papers in federal court in Honolulu voluntarily dismissing his case against former network TV executive Garth Ancier.
Three weeks ago, Egan withdrew a suit against David Neuman, another former TV executive.
Attorney Louise Ann Fernandez released a statement Wednesday on behalf of Ancier saying the case against him had no merit.
“Just as this case imploded when the facts became known, any further legal maneuvers or gimmicks will fail because unsupported statements, falsehoods and character smears have no place in any court,” the statement said.
Fernandez previously said her client never visited the estate in Hawaii where Egan claimed he was molested.
Mark Gallagher, Egan’s Hawaii attorney referred questions to Florida attorney Jeff Herman, who didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.
Federal courts can handle cases when parties are from different states.
In a motion filed in May to dismiss the case against Ancier, his attorneys argued that the lawsuits were an attempt to “shake down Hollywood executives” and “part of transparent effort by a non-Hawaii resident — who did not even set foot in Hawaii himself during the time in question — to avail himself of Hawaii’s extended statute of limitations.”
Two other lawsuits by Egan are pending against “X-Men” director Bryan Singer and theater producer Gary Goddard. Both have denied the allegations.
Egan sued in April under a Hawaii law that suspended for two years the statute of limitations in civil sex abuse cases. Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie last week signed a bill into law extending that window for another two years.
Follow Jennifer Sinco Kelleher at http://www.twitter.com/JenHapa .