List of U.S. Executions Since 1976 With AM-Byrne Execution, PM-Louisiana Execution, Bjt
List of U.S. Executions Since 1976 With AM-Byrne Execution, PM-Louisiana Execution, Bjt
The Associated Press
Jun. 14, 1988
Undated (AP) _ Here is a list of convicted killers executed since the U.S. Supreme Court allowed states to restore the death penalty in 1976:
1. Gary Gilmore, 36, executed Jan. 17 by a firing squad in Utah for the murder of a motel clerk.
2. John Spenkelink, 30, electrocuted May 25 in Florida for murdering a traveling companion.
3. Jesse Bishop, 46, executed in Nevada's gas chamber Oct. 22 for murdering a newlywed.
4. Steven Judy, 24, electrocuted March 9 in Indiana for killing a woman and her three children.
5. Frank Coppola, 38, electrocuted Aug. 10 in Virginia for killing a housewife.
6. Charlie Brooks Jr., 40, killed by injection Dec. 7 in Texas for murdering a used-car salesman.
7. John Evans III, 33, electrocuted April 22 in Alabama for murdering a pawnbroker.
8. Jimmy Lee Gray, 34, executed Sept. 2 in Mississippi's gas chamber for murdering a 3-year-old girl.
9. Robert Sullivan, 36, electrocuted Nov. 30 in Florida for the shotgun slaying of a restaurant assistant manager.
10. Robert Wayne Williams, 31, electrocuted Dec. 14 in Louisiana for the killing of a supermarket guard during a holdup.
11. John Eldon Smith, 53, electrocuted Dec. 15 in Georgia for murdering two newlyweds.
12. Anthony Antone, 66, electrocuted Jan. 26 in Florida for arranging the murder of a private eye.
13. Johnny Taylor Jr., 30, electrocuted Feb. 29 in Louisiana for stabbing a man to death in the New Orleans suburb of Kenner.
14. James David Autry, 29, executed by injection March 14 in Texas for the shooting death a convenience store clerk.
15. James W. Hutchins, 54, executed by injection March 16 in North Carolina for killing two sheriff's deputies.
16. Ronald Clark O'Bryan, 39, executed by injection March 31 in Texas for killing his 8-year-old son with cyanide-laced Halloween candy.
17. Elmo Patrick Sonnier, 35, electrocuted April 5 in Louisiana for killing two teen-agers near New Iberia in 1977.
18. Arthur F. Goode III, 30, electrocuted April 5 in Florida for killing a 9-year-old boy.
19. James Adams, 47, electrocuted May 10 in Florida for killing a millionaire rancher.
20. Carl Shriner, 30, electrocuted June 20 in Florida for killing a convenience store clerk.
21. Ivon R. Stanley, 28, electrocuted July 12 in Georgia for killing an insurance salesman who was robbed, beaten, shot and buried alive.
22. David L. Washington, 34, electrocuted July 13 in Florida for three murders in eight days in 1976.
23. Ernest John Dobbert Jr., 46, electrocuted Sept. 7 in Florida for the 1971 killing of his 9-year-old daughter.
24. Timothy Baldwin, 46, electrocuted Sept. 10 in Louisiana for the 1978 killing of an 81-year-old woman who was beaten during a robbery in her home.
25. James Henry, 34, electrocuted Sept. 20 in Florida for killing an elderly leader of Orlando's black community in a 1974 robbery.
26. Linwood Briley, 30, electrocuted Oct. 13 in Virginia for the robbery and murder of a Richmond disc jockey.
27. Earnest Knighton Jr., 38, electrocuted Oct. 30 in Louisiana for killing a service station owner.
28. Thomas Andy Barefoot, 39, executed by injection Oct. 30 in Texas for killing a policeman.
29. Velma Barfield, 52, executed by injection Nov. 2 in North Carolina for poisoning her boyfriend.
30. Timothy Palmes, 37, electrocuted Nov. 8 in Florida for killing a store owner whose body was placed in a box and dumped in a river.
31. Alpha Otis Stephens, 39, electrocuted Dec. 12 in Georgia for killing a contractor who had interrupted a burglary.
32. Robert Lee Willie, 26, electrocuted Dec. 28 in Louisiana for raping and murdering an 18-year-old Mandeville woman.
33. David Dene Martin, 32, electrocuted Jan. 4 in Louisiana for murdering his wife's lover and three other people.
34. Roosevelt Green, 28, electrocuted Jan. 9 in Georgia for killing a convenience store clerk.
35. Joseph Carl Shaw, 29, electrocuted Jan. 11 in South Carolina for murdering a teen-age boy and a teen-age girl and raping the girl.
36. Doyle Skillern, 48, executed by injection Jan. 16 for being an accomplice in the 1974 slaying of an undercover Texas narcotics agent.
37. James David Raulerson, 33, electrocuted Jan. 30 in Florida for killing a Jacksonville policeman in a restaurant robbery in 1975.
38. Van Roosevelt Solomon, 42, electrocuted Feb. 20 in Georgia for killing a convenience store operator.
39. Johnny Paul Witt, 42, electrocuted March 6 in Florida for killing an 11-year-old boy and then sexually abusing and mutilating the body.
40. Stephen Peter Morin, 37, executed by injection March 13 in Texas for killing a 21-year-old woman.
41. John C. Young, 28, electrocuted March 20 in Georgia for fatally beating three elderly people in Macon in 1974.
42. James D. Briley, 28, electrocuted April 18 in Virginia for killing a pregnant woman and her 5-year-old son.
43. Jesse de la Rosa, 23, executed in Texas by injection May 15 for murdering a convenience store clerk in 1979.
44. Marvin Francois, 39, electrocuted in Florida May 29 for killing six people during the robbery of a ''drug house'' in 1977.
45. Charles Milton, 34, executed by injection in Texas on June 25 for killing a liquor store owner during an aborted robbery in 1977.
46. Morris Odell Mason, 32, executed in Virginia's electric chair June 25 for raping and murdering an elderly woman, nailing her hand to a chair and then setting her house on fire in 1978 during a crime spree.
47. Henry Martinez Porter, 43, executed by injection in Texas on July 9 for killing a policeman.
48. Charles Rumbaugh, 28, executed by injection in Texas on Sept. 11 for murdering a jeweler when he was 17 years old. It was the first execution in more than two decades for a crime committed by someone under age 18.
49. William E. Vandiver, 37, electrocuted in Indiana on Oct. 16 for stabbing and dismembering his father-in-law.
50. Carroll Edward Cole, 47, executed by injection in Nevada on Dec. 6 for one of at least a dozen women he admitted killing for revenge against his abusive mother.
51. James Terry Roach, 25, electrocuted in South Carolina on Jan. 10 for murdering two teen-agers when he was 17 years old. Accomplice Joseph Carl Shaw was executed Jan. 11, 1985.
52. Charles Bass, 29, executed by injection in Texas on March 12 for murdering a Houston city marshal during a shootout.
53. Arthur Lee Jones Jr., 47, electrocuted in Alabama on March 21 for murdering a cab driver during a robbery.
54. Daniel Morris Thomas, 37, electrocuted in Florida on April 15 for murdering a white man and raping his wife during a 10-month crime spree that officials said was racially motivated. Thomas was black.
55. Jeffery Allen Barney, 28, executed by injection in Texas on April 1, for raping and murdering the wife of a minister who had befriended him.
56. David Livingston Funchess, 39, executed in Florida's electric chair on April 22 for fatally stabbing two people in 1974 during a holdup at the bar where he had been fired.
57. Jay Kelly Pinkerton, 24, executed by injection in Texas on May 15 for fatally stabbing two women.
58. Ronald J. Straight, 42, executed in Florida's electric chair on May 20 for the 1976 death of a businessman. (execution No. 30, Timothy Palmes, involved same killing).
59. Rudy Ramos Esquivel, 50, executed in Texas by injection on June 9 for murdering a narcotics officer.
60. Kenneth Albert Brock, 37, executed in Texas by injection on June 19 for shooting to death a convenience store manager during a robbery.
61. Jerome Bowden, 33, electrocuted in Georgia on June 24. The mentally retarded man had killed a woman during a robbery, and the execution drew protests from rock stars and associations of retarded citizens.
62. Michael Marnell Smith, 40, electrocuted in Virginia on July 31 for raping and killing a woman.
63. Randy Lynn Woolls, 36, executed by injection in Texas on Aug. 20 for beating, slashing and burning a drive-in movie cashier.
64. Larry Smith, 30, executed by injection in Texas on Aug. 22 for shooting a convenience store clerk in a robbery that netted $25.
65. Chester Lee Wicker, 37, executed by injection in Texas on Aug. 26 for kidnapping a woman and killing her by burying her alive on a beach.
66. John William Rook, 27, executed by injection in in North Carolina, Sept. 19 for raping, knifing and running over a nurse, leaving her to die.
67. Michael Wayne Evans, 30, executed by injection in Texas on Dec. 4 for murdering a church pianist who was shot and slashed to death as she prayed to God to forgive her.
68. Richard Andrade, 25, executed by injection in Texas on Dec. 18 for the rape-murder of a woman who was stabbed at least 14 times and left in a pool of blood.
69. Ramon Hernandez, 44, executed by injection in Texas on Jan. 30 for the 1980 shooting death of a mechanic during a burglary at a closed service station.
70. Eliseo Moreno, 27, executed by injection in Texas on March 4 for the 1983 shooting death of a state trooper while on a 160-mile rampage that left five other people dead.
71. Joseph Mulligan, 35, electrocuted in Georgia on May 15 for the 1974 shooting death of a witness to a murder he committed for insurance money.
72. Earl Edward Johnson, 26, executed in Mississippi's gas chamber on May 20 for murdering the marshal of a small town in 1979.
73. Richard Tucker, 44, electrocuted in Georgia on May 22 for the 1978 murder of a nurse.
74. Anthony Charles Williams, 27, executed by injection in Texas on May 28 for abducting, raping and bludgeoning to death a 13-year-old girl in 1978.
75. William Boyd Tucker, 31, electrocuted in Georgia on May 29 for killing a pregnant newlywed convenience store clerk in 1977.
76. Benjamin Berry, 31, executed by electric chair in Louisiana on June 7, 1987, for the 1978 shooting death of a deputy sheriff during a bank robbery.
77. Alvin Moore Jr., 27, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on June 9 for raping and murdering a woman during a 1980 robbery that netted a stereo and a jar of pennies.
78. Jimmy Glass, 25, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on June 12 for the murder and robbery of a bound and gagged couple on Christmas Eve 1982.
79. Jimmy Wingo, 35, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on June 16 for the 1982 murder of a man and his wife during a robbery at their home.
80. Elliot Rod Johnson, 28, executed by injection in Texas on June 24 for the April 8, 1982, murder of a jeweler, one of two people slain during a robbery.
81. Richard Lee Whitley, 41, executed in Virginia's electric chair on July 6 for strangling an elderly neighbor, slashing her throat and sexually assaulting her corpse.
82. John R. Thompson, 32, executed by injection in Texas on July 8 for shooting a 70-year-old woman to death during a 1977 robbery in San Antonio.
83. Connie Ray Evans, 27, July 8, executed in Mississippi's gas chamber for shooting to death a Jackson convenience store clerk during a 1981 robbery in Jackson.
84. Willie Celestine, 30, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on July 20 for beating, raping and strangling an 81-year-old woman.
85. Willie Watson, 30, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on July 24 for raping, robbing and killing a Tulane University medical student.
86. John Brogdon, 25, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on July 30 for raping, torturing and murdering an 11-year-old girl in 1981.
87. Sterling Rault, a 36-year-old accountant, executed in Louisiana's electric chair on Aug. 24 for the 1982 rape and murder of his secretary, who he believed had planned to expose him of embezzling $84,000.
88. Wayne Eugene Ritter, 33, executed in Alabama's electric chair on Aug. 28 for his part in the 1977 murder-robbery of a pawnbroker.
89. Pierre Dale Selby, 34, convicted in the ''Hi-Fi'' torture-murders of three people, was executed by injection in Utah on Aug. 28.
90. Beauford White, 41, who stood guard while six people were shot to death in a robbery in a suburban Miami home, was electrocuted at Florida State Prison on Aug. 28.
91. William 'Billy' Mitchell, 35, convicted of shooting to death a 14-year- old boy during a grocery store holdup that netted $160, electrocuted in Jackson, Ga., on Sept. 1.
92. Joseph Starvaggi, 34, convicted of murdering a probation officer during a 1976 burglary at the man's home. Executed by injection in Texas Sept. 10.
93. Timothy W. McCorquodale, 35, convicted of the 1974 rape, torture and murder of a runaway teen-age girl. Electrocuted in Georgia Sept. 21.
94. Robert Streetman, 27, convicted of murdering a woman in 1982 in a $1 burglary with a shot through her living room window. Executed by injection Jan. 7, in Texas.
95. Wayne Robert Felde, 38, convicted of the 1978 slaying of a police officer while being taken to jail in handcuffs for drunkenness. Electrocuted in Louisiana March 15.
96. Willie Jasper Darden, 54, convicted of the 1973 slaying of a businessman while robbing his wife of $15. Electrocuted in Florida March 15.
97. Leslie Lowenfield, 34, for killing his girlfriend and four members of her family, including a 4-year-old girl, in a jealous rage. Electrocuted in Louisiana on April 13.
98. Earl Clanton Jr., 33, convicted of the 1980 murder of a neighbor, a 38- year-old (woman) librarian, during an $8 robbery. Electrocuted in Virginia on April 14.
99. Arthur Gary Bishop, 36, convicted of kidnapping, sexually molesting and killing five boys between 1979 and 1983. Executed in Utah by injection on June 10.
100. Edward R. Byrne Jr., 28, electrocuted in Louisana on June 14 for killing a service station attendant during a robbery in 1984.