Related topics

Woman Sues Hospital Over Surprise in Spinach

July 2, 1996

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) _ A former patient is suing a hospital because of a surprise she found in her spinach.

Sherie Hampton of Creston _ a patient at Iowa Lutheran Hospital in 1994 _ said she knew something was wrong when she took a bite and found a hard object in her mouth.

It was a bird’s head, she says.

``The immediate effect was nausea, but she still has a hard time even talking about it two years later,″ said Hampton’s attorney, Catherine Dietz-Kilen of Des Moines. ``Spinach used to be one of her favorite foods.″

Hampton, now 38, is suing Iowa Lutheran and its former food-service provider, Aramark Healthcare Support Services Inc., for negligence. She is seeking damages for emotional distress.

Spokeswoman Kim Warth said the hospital has been negotiating with Hampton and her lawyer, but have reached no settlement.

Hamton’s experience was made worse, her attorney said, because she was fed spinach for days following the incident.

``The hospital just kept giving it to her,″ Dietz-Kilen said.

Update hourly