CANDLEWOOD LAKE Marine Patrol reviews season

November 19, 2018

BROOKFIELD — The Candlewoood Lake Authority is looking for a new marine patrol chief after the current chief decided he won’t be returning for health reasons.

Chief Doug Vane resigned and is expected to be replaced during the off-season, according to the Candlewood Lake Authority.

The authority plans to approve the appointment of the chief and assistant chief at its December meeting, Chairwoman Phyllis Schaer said.

Joe Wodarski, a New Milford delegate, said this means other officers will be moved up to the ranked positions.

The authority plans to honor Vane’s years of service with a plaque.

The announcement about the chief came as part of the marine patrol’s end of season report at an authority meeting last week, which was presented by Assistant Chief Ron Barnard.

There were three fatalities this year on the lake, the report noted.

The state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection is still investigating the two boating incidents, said DEEP spokesman Chris Collibee.

A Waterbury woman was killed when she was struck by a boat’s propeller while swimming in June, and an East Hartford man drowned when the boat he was on capsized.

There were also two fires and two accidents, according to the marine patrol’s report.

“When called to assist, the CLAMP officers were complimented on their assistance and professionalism,” Barnard said, according to meeting minutes.

The patrol had 599 interactions with people on the water this season. Those resulted in 69 infractions, 27 written warnings and 365 verbal warnings. Of those, the most common violations concerned personal flotation devices, registration decals, not being a safe distance from shore, lights and riding on a boat’s bow.

“It was a busy season with 1,712 man-hours on the water,” Barnard said.

The authority commended the patrol members for their work.

“The Patrol did a spectacular job this season,” Brookfield delegate Jerry Murphy said.

Update hourly