Day in History: Harley Flathers to move from AM to FM radio
1993 – 25 years ago
• Work continues on the Super America gas station and McDonald’s restaurant on 55th Street Northwest, just east of U.S. 52.
• Dr. Robert Hattery will replace Dr. Robert Waller as chairman of the Mayo Rochester Board of Governors, meaning Hattery will become chief medical administrator of Mayo’s Rochester operations.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Two rooms formerly in the late Dr. Charles W. Mayo’s private quarters at Mayowood have been added to the Olmsted County Historical Society tour of the Mayo home grounds. The library and study will be included in tours this week.
• Harley Flathers, KROC radio announcer, has purchased an interest in Rochester FM Station KNXR and will join that FM station. Flathers will host a regular morning program on KNXR from 6 to 10 a.m. Monday through Saturday.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Judy Garland and Gene Kelly star in “For Me and My Gal” showing at the Empress Theatre. Admission is 11 and 20 cents.
• Four more Rochester men have arrived for training at the U.S. Naval Training Station at Farragut, Idaho. They are Homer Lindeen, Walter Kern, Gene Cochran and Vincent Blasing.
1918 – 100 years ago
• Robert Orr arrived in the city on a furlough last night from Austin, Tex. Orr graduated from aviation school there.