Woman pleads innocent to murder charge
IRONTON — Bond has been set at $1 million for a South Point, Ohio, woman charged with fatally shooting her boyfriend in a McDonald’s parking lot earlier this year.
Belinda S. Adkins, 41, of Township Road 279E, South Point, pleaded innocent to murder with a gun specification last week in Lawrence County Common Pleas Court.
Adkins is charged with fatally shooting Joshua C. Jones, 39, of South Point. Jones was shot four or five times in the McDonald’s parking lot off U.S. 52 west of Chesapeake, Ohio.
In an unrelated case, Casey Jean Boggess, 28, and her boyfriend, David E. Large, 37, both of the 400 block of North 2nd Street, Ironton, pleaded innocent last week to involuntary manslaughter, endangering children, corrupting another with drugs and aggravated possession of fentanyl.
Boggess was indicted earlier this year in connection with the death of her 2-year-old son who died in 2017. The child died from a drug overdose, according to an autopsy report.
Meanwhile, Jesse Mezo, 33, of County Road 70, Proctorville, Ohio, pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity to two counts of felonious assault, four counts of abduction, three misdemeanor counts of endangering children and a misdemeanor charge of domestic violence.
Judge Andy Ballard ordered Mezo, a U.S. Marine veteran with two tours of duty in the Middle East, to undergo a competency evaluation by Court Clinic. Bond was set at $50,000.
In other cases:
• Thomas Valentine, 37, of the 400 block of Front Street, Proctorville, pleaded not guilty and not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of felonious assault and tampering with evidence. He was ordered to undergo a competency evaluation by Court Clinic. Bond was set at $50,000.
• Shawn Sagraves, 28, of County Road 15, South Point, agreed to drop his appeal and a charge of failure to appeal was dismissed. Sagraves was sentenced to 36 months in prison last year but failed to show up for final sentencing.
• Delbert Dean, 41, of County Road 12, Proctorville, pleaded guilty to possession of meth. He was ordered to complete a drug prevention program and do 200 hours of community service.
• A drug charge against George Stanley, 36, of County Road 15, South Point, was dismissed and he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of possession of drug abuse instruments. He was placed on probation for two years and ordered to do 200 hours of community service.
• William C. Webb, 33, of South 9th Street, Ironton, pleaded guilty in a drug case and was placed on community control sanctions for four years. He was ordered to get drug treatment and 200 hours of community service.
• Seth N. Thompson, 28, of the 1900 block of Dixon Street, Ashland, was sentenced to two months in prison in a drug case.
• Christopher M. Adkins, 34, of County Road 411, Proctorville, pleaded innocent to felonious assault, having weapons while under disability, improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, receiving stolen property and a misdemeanor charge of resisting arrest. Bond was set at $75,000.
• Jonathan K. Rice, 34, of the 400 block of North 2nd Street, Ironton, pleaded innocent to a charge of corrupting another with drugs. Bond was set at $50,000.
• Douglas E. Radcliff, 61, of Township Road 220, Willow Wood, Ohio, pleaded innocent to aggravated trafficking of 27 grams of meth. Bond was set at $35,000.
• Molly S. Ross, 47, of County Road 1, South Point, pleaded innocent to charges of aggravated possession of meth and identity fraud. Bond was set at $25,000.
• Gregory R. Cox, 37, of County Road 21, Ironton, pleaded innocent to a charge of failure to comply with the order or signal of a police officer. Bond was set at $25,000.