Day in History: 37th Street NW in Rochester takes shape
1993 – 25 years ago
• Katherine Bourne of Rochester Mayo won the No. 1 singles championship at the Eagan Invitational tennis tournament.
1968 – 50 years ago
• 37th Street Northwest, a road, currently under construction, that slices through undeveloped farmland, will eventually provide another link between U.S. Highway 52 and U.S. 63 in northwest Rochester. The road is taking shape, and surfacing will began as weather permits.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The Mayo General Hospital is the name of a new Army hospital being built in Galesburg, Ill. It will be used to treat soldiers injured during the war. It is named in honor of the late Drs. William J. and Charles H. Mayo of Rochester.
• The Austin Packers football team came to Rochester and rolled over the hapless Rochester Rockets, 25-0. Frankie White of the Packers scored a touchdown in every period.
1918 – 100 years ago
• The school automobile repair shop is open for business according to Rochester Superintendent H.A. Johnson. Rochester people can bring in their cars to be worked on by the boys and any charge will just be sufficient to cover the cost of material used.
• Area law enforcement authorities are warning people that automobile thieves are quite active in this area. The latest incident was in Austin. A very mean man stole a car while the owner was in church.