Day in History: Humphrey concedes presidential election to Nixon
1993 – 25 years ago
• The Rochester Community College football team completed a perfect 8-0 conference record with a resounding 60-36 win over Normandale. Halfback Sherman Anderson scored five touchdowns in the game.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Vice President Hubert H. Humphry conceded the presidential election today to Richard Nixon. Nixon’s victory brought Republicans their first administration in eight years, but Democrats have retained control of Congress. Humphrey told President-elect Richard Nixon in a phone call, “My congratulations, please know that you have my support in leading this nation.”
1943 – 75 years ago
• A plant in Preston, to be known as the Preston Feed & Soya company, will be a processing plant for the manufacture of soybean oil meal. The plant will also market mixed feeds and concentrates.
• An 11-year-old boy with a rare disease has recovered due to the new drug, penicillin. The boy was stricken by staphylococcus aureus, a blood disease with high temperatures and body boils.
1918 – 100 years ago
• A toddler wandered away from his home in Rochester this morning. He heard there was a big toy train in the window of the E.A. Knowlton store. He found his way to the store but it became apparent to others he was a stray. A store employee took care of the boy. The police soon received a phone call that he was missing. His mom retrieved him and all ended well.