Local farmers markets kick off season in May
’Tis the season. Farmers markets are springing up across the Flathead Valley. Whether you’re in the market for garden plants, homemade edibles, homegrown produce, handcrafted goods or just want to enjoy a little people-watching, here’s where the action is.
• Bigfork’s farmers markets start May 15 and are held Wednesdays through Oct. 9 at the VFW, 8098 Montana 35. Spring hours are from 3 to 6 p.m. through June 12, and 3 to 7 p.m. through Sept. 11. Fall hours are from 3 to 6 p.m. Sept. 18 through Oct. 9. Call 406-249-8439, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit bigforkfarmersmarket.com.
• Columbia Falls’ Community Farmers Market is held from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sept. 26 featuring live music at The Coop, 830 First Ave. W. Call 406-871-6440 or visit https://www.cfcommunitymarket.com.
• The Eureka Area Chamber of Commerce holds its farmers market from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays through Sept. 18 in General Pershing’s Park. Call 406-297-4636 or visit http://eurekamontana.org.
• The Kalispell Farmers Market is open for the season. Hours are 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays through Oct. 12 in the south parking lot off of Grandview Drive at Flathead Valley Community College. Call 406-881-4078 or visit http://www.kalispellfarmersmarket.org for more information.
• West Glacier Farmers Market is open every Friday from 2:30 to 6 p.m. from June 21 to Sept. 6. Call 208-642-7595 or email email@example.com.
• The Whitefish Downtown Farmers Market runs Tuesdays 5 to 7:30 p.m. from May 28 through Sept. 24 in Depot Park and features live music. Call 406-407-5272 or go to www.whitefishfarmersmarket.org.
• The Libby Farmers Market has its grand opening from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursday, May 9, on the lawn of the Libby Area Chamber located on U.S. 2. The market will be open every Thursday and is a collaboration of Chamber and community members, local growers and vendors who share a desire to establish a lively market supplying local access to healthy food. The Libby Chamber will be adding market vibes with entertainment and special features throughout the season. Libby Bucks and the SNAP program will be accepted.
• Troy’s Farmers Market takes place on the grounds of the Troy Museum located at 700 E. Missoula Ave. and U.S. 2. Sponsored by the Yaak Valley Forest Council, the market is open every Friday from June to September, starting June 7.
• Polson Farmers Market Co-op offers locally produce, bedding plants, perennials, shrubs, hanging baskets and unique crafts. The market is open every Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. starting May 10 through mid-October downtown at Third Avenue West in front of the Cove Deli.
• The Ronan Farmers Market opens for the season May 16. The market is held from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursdays at the Visitors Center on U.S. 93, featuring over 50 vendors with fresh produce, cheeses, eggs and baked goods from farmers in the Mission and Flathead Valleys.