DHA Expands Opportunity Rising Advisory Board with Leaders from Dallas’ Non-Profit, Education, Healthcare and Business Communities
DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Apr 4, 2019--DHA (formerly, the Dallas Housing Authority) introduces six new advisory board leaders for the Opportunity Rising Foundation. The Opportunity Rising Foundation is a 501c3 charitable organization founded by DHA in 1997 to provide education-related programs and scholarships for DHA clients and residents. Since its inception, the foundation has provided more than $1.5 million in scholarships and assisted approximately 2,000 students with scholarships, internships, mentorships and college tours.
The advisory board now consists of ten diverse community leaders with expertise in academics, business, community relations, economic development, healthcare and non-profits. The mission of the advisory board is to help the foundation reach more students than ever before, while expanding youth’s exposure to educational opportunities that can help to propel them towards self-sufficiency.
The new advisory board members are:
- Ashley Brundage, MSSW, senior vice president of community impact at United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
- Clarisa Duran Lindenmeyer, executive business strategist
- Claudia Muniz, CFO at The JIREH Group
- Danielle Wesley, MHA, PMP, CSSBB, senior director, school & virtual health program for Children’s Health
- Erin Offord, senior director of programs for Big Thought
- Froswa’ Booker-Drew, PHD, director of community affairs & strategic alliances for the State Fair of Texas
The original Opportunity Rising Foundation advisory board leaders are:
- Byron D. Johnson, sales executive for Enterprise Holdings
- Drexell Owusu, senior vice president of Education and Workforce for the Dallas Regional Chamber
- Nakia Douglas, executive director of TRIO and Pre-collegiate Programs at UNT Dallas
- Scott Fawcett, founder and CEO of Empowered Consulting
This distinguished group of advisory board members from the community support the foundation’s mission by reflecting its core values and helping to garner support for the foundation from the community through advocacy.
In its 22 years of operation, the Opportunity Rising Foundation has truly made an impact. Based on a recent survey of scholars who received educational support from the foundation, we learned that:
- 71% are first generation college students
- 52% earned their bachelor’s or master’s degree
- 77% are currently employed
- 76% no longer receive government assistance
“I am excited to have these talented leaders join the Opportunity Rising Foundation advisory board,” said Troy Broussard, DHA president and CEO. “They each have a passion for contributing to our great city and believe that education is a key ingredient to alleviating poverty. I look forward to working with them to advance our foundation’s mission to help the families we serve rise to their full potential.”
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY RISING FOUNDATION
We help the families we serve rise to their full potential through continuous learning, job training and education. We provide scholarships, financial assistance, mentorship and learning opportunities for our clients who are preparing to enter college, technical school, vocational school or want to learn a new skill. Since 1997, Opportunity Rising has awarded more than 1,100 scholarships to DHA residents. For more information, please visit: https://opportunityrisingfoundation.org/.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190404005166/en/
CONTACT: Jacqueline Chen Valencia
Partner, CONNECTIVE Agency
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA TEXAS
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: EDUCATION OTHER EDUCATION PHILANTHROPY FOUNDATION
SOURCE: Dallas Housing Authority
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 04/04/2019 09:00 AM/DISC: 04/04/2019 09:01 AM