8 spots in Pittsburgh to accept unused, expired prescription drugs this weekend
Pittsburgh residents will have eight spots this weekend to dispose of expired or unused prescription drugs.
The following sites in Pittsburgh will be available as drop-off points from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 27, unless otherwise noted:
• Pittsburgh Bureau of Police Headquarters, 1203 Western Ave.
• Phillips Recreation Center, 201 Parkfield St. (This site will operate from 8 to 11 a.m.)
• 1501 Brighton Road (Zone 1)
• 2000 Centre Ave. (Zone 2)
• 830 East Warrington Ave. (Zone 3)
• 5858 Northumberland St. (Zone 4)
• 1401 Washington Blvd. (Zone 5)
• 312 S. Main St. (Zone 6)
The drop-off sites are part of the federal Drug Enforcement Administration’s 16th annual National Prescription Drug Take Back Day.
A city of Pittsburgh news release said an estimated 2 million Americans will suffer from addiction to prescription opioids or illegal opioids in 2018.
“Eight in 10 heroin users started with abusing prescriptions. The fight against this epidemic begins at home,” said Pittsburgh police Sgt. Rebecca Bassano.
The Pittsburgh Bureau of Police collected 610 pounds of prescription drugs earlier this year, the news release said.