AP NEWS

CDC says food at unsafe temps caused illnesses at Ohio Chipotle

August 17, 2018

CDC says food at unsafe temps caused illnesses at Ohio Chipotle

POWELL, Ohio — Health officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say food left at unsafe temperatures resulted in hundreds of customers becoming ill last month after eating at a Chipotle near Columbus.

According to 10tv.com, the foodborne disease clostridium perfringens caused 647 people to report symptoms such as nausea, diarrhea and fever. The customers reportedly ate at the Chipotle in Powell between July 26 and July 30, Business Insider reports.

The outbreak last month caused the restaurant to close its Powell location for one day.

10tv.com reports the CDC has not traced the outbreak to one specific food served at the restaurant, but tests are ongoing.

An inspection of the restaurant by Delaware County health officials in July noted that lettuce was not properly cooled and beans were not held at a warm enough temperature.

In 2015, Chipotle had to temporarily close dozens of locations across the U.S. because of an E. coli outbreak, which also affected Northeast Ohio.

CNBC reports Chipotle shares were up 74 percent this year, but declined 4 percent on Thursday.

AP RADIO
Update hourly