Related topics

Fire Guts N.C. College Dormitory; 1 Hurt

January 20, 2003

SWANNANOA, N.C. (AP) _ A fire gutted a dormitory at Warren Wilson College early Sunday, injuring one person trying to flee and displacing more than 50 students.

Students had been burning papers outdoors earlier in the night and put them in a nearby recycling shed believing the fire had been extinguished, fire Chief Anthony Penland said.

The injured student suffered broken bones, a school spokesman said.

The single-story dormitory was not full because spring semester doesn’t begin until Monday. About 750 students attend the college near Asheville in western North Carolina.


On the Net:

Warren Wilson College: http://www.warren-wilson.edu

Update hourly