Homeless man shot by Portland police files $1.3M lawsuit
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A suicidal homeless man who was shot by Portland police after officers said he reached for a replica handgun has filed a $1.3 million lawsuit against the city.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports police said a replica handgun fell out of the van that Don Perkins had been living in next to Portland’s Powell Park and officers shot him when he tried to grab it in 2017.
But Perkins’ attorney, Thomas Patton, said Friday that his client didn’t reach for the look-alike gun.
The suit faults Officers Roger Walsh and Bradley Clark, claiming they were improperly trained in how to deal with someone in a mental health crisis and that they escalated the situation by screaming at Perkins before shooting him.
An employee of the city attorney’s office said the city doesn’t comment on pending litigation.
A grand jury found no criminal wrongdoing by the officers.
Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, http://www.oregonlive.com