Day in History: Light goes out at Split Rock Lighthouse in 1969
1994 – 25 years ago
• Rochester fire chief Dave Kapler said a new policy has been formed to spell out procedures for the department response to save animals in life-threatening situations.
• Children watching Saturday morning cartoon programs are, on the average; exposed to a violent act every 47 seconds, according to a major study conducted at Concordia College in Moorhead.
1969 – 50 years ago
• The light has gone out at Split Rock Lighthouse after more than 50 years of guiding mariners to safety. Due to modernization of shipping, radar and other navigational aids, the lighthouse is not needed anymore, according to Duluth Coast Guard Lt. George Bannan. The lighthouse was built in 1910.
• It was reported today that Hong Kong flu has been listed as a contributing cause in at least four deaths of elderly Rochester residents in December.
1944 – 75 years ago
• Cpl. Lloyd Caulfield has reported to a base at Keesler Field, Miss., where he is assigned to the aviation-cadet corps.
• 2nd Lt. James J. Macken has been promoted to the rank of 1st lieutenant. Lieutenant Macken is with the corps of engineers at Camp Lewis, near Tacoma, Wash.
1919 – 100 years ago
• The recent snowstorm has delayed the cutting of ice on the pond and river. The blanket of snow may reduce freezing and the ice may not be of sufficient thickness for harvesting.
• The Rochester High School will play Kasson High in a game today in the local high school gymnasium at 8 p.m. The admission is 25 cents. (RHS would win the game 57-12)
From news services
Ten years ago
• President-elect Barack Obama urged lawmakers to work with him “day and night, on weekends if necessary” to approve the largest taxpayer-funded stimulus ever. Obama named Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine the next Democratic National Committee chairman. The U.N. Security Council called for an immediate cease-fire in Gaza by a 14-0 vote, with the United States abstaining. No. 1 Florida beat No. 2 Oklahoma 24-14 for the BCS national title. Cornelia Wallace, former wife of Alabama Gov. George Wallace, died in Sebring, Fla. at age 69.
Five years ago
Emails and text messages obtained by the Associated Press and other news organizations suggested that one of New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s top aides engineered traffic jams in Fort Lee in Sept. 2013 to punish its mayor for not endorsing Christie for re-election; Christie responded by saying he’d been misled by the aide, and he denied involvement in the apparent act of political payback. Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas were elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame.
One year ago The Trump administration said it was ending special protections for immigrants from El Salvador, an action that could force nearly 200,000 to leave the U.S. by September, 2019 or face deportation. Alabama beat Georgia in overtime, 26-23, to claim the College Football Playoff national championship after freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa (tag-oh-vay-LOH’-ah) came off the bench to spark a comeback. A judge in Las Vegas dismissed criminal charges against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and his sons, who were accused of leading an armed uprising against federal authorities.
Today’s birthdays: Actor-comedian Larry Storch is 96. Broadcast journalist Sander Vanocur is 91. CBS newsman Charles Osgood is 86. Singer Shirley Bassey is 82. Game show host Bob Eubanks is 81. Country-gospel singer Cristy Lane is 79. Rhythm-and-blues singer Anthony Gourdine (Little Anthony and the Imperials) is 78. Actress Yvette Mimieux is 77. Singer Juanita Cowart Motley (The Marvelettes) is 75. Actress Kathleen Noone is 74. Rock musician Robby Krieger (The Doors) is 73. Movie director John McTiernan is 68. Actress Harriet Sansom Harris is 64. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is 61. Singer-songwriter Ron Sexsmith is 55. Actress Michelle Forbes is 54. Actress Maria Pitillo is 53. Singer R. Kelly is 52. Rock musician Jeff Abercrombie (Fuel) is 50. Actress Ami Dolenz is 50. Reggae singer Sean Paul is 46. Actor Donnell Turner is 46. Country singer Tift Merritt is 44. Actress-rock singer Jenny Lewis is 43. Actress Amber Benson is 42. Actor Scott Whyte is 41. Singer-songwriter Erin McCarley is 40. Actress Sarah Polley is 40. Actress Rachel Nichols is 39. Actress Gaby Hoffman is 37. Rock musician Disashi Lumumbo-Kasongo (Gym Class Heroes) is 36. Actor Freddie Stroma is 32.