Autopsy: Slain NCCU student shot twice, no alcohol in system

April 2, 2019

The death of a 23-year-old North Carolina Central University student was a ruled a homicide by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.

DeAndre Ballard was fatally shot by a security guard outside his Durham apartment complex Sept. 17th.

According to the autopsy report, Ballard was shot twice, once in the arm and once in the lower abdomen/groin. No alcohol was found in his system.

But the report doesn’t offer any answers for Ballard’s family.

“You don’t have answers. No answers whatsoever,” said Miguel Staten, Ballard’s uncle.

Seven months after the shooting, it is still not clear why the student was shot. Durham police have not released a report or the name of the person who fired the shot.

“It makes me feel like we can’t trust the police department as much as we’d like to,” Staten said.

A 911 call made by the security guard who shot Ballard suggests he tried to fight the security guard and went for his gun.

But family members and friends do not believe that.

NC Detective Agency said that the guard involved in Ballard’s death is state-certified and has 15 years of experience.

Records from the Private Protective Services Board show several violations for the NC Detective Agency’s president, Roger Ladd. The violations are from 2010 to 2012 for failing to properly train guards and for falsifying training records.

Roger Ladd was forced to pay about $2,600 in fines.

WRAL reached out to the Durham Police Department on Monday. The spokesperson, who had already left for the day, sent a text message saying, “the Ballard case is being reviewed by the new DA. You need to contact the DA for a case update.”

WRAL also reached out to the DA who said, “I have no comment unless Mr. Ballard’s mother releases a statement.”

Ballard’s uncle went to the City Council looking for answers, but was given the same message.

WRAL also reached out to Ballard’s mother, who said she would call us back, but did not. WRAL learned from other family members that she has obtained legal counsel and a meeting between her and the DA could be coming soon.

No one has been charged in connection with Ballard’s death.