The Indianapolis Colts denied a rumor today that they had signe
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) _ The Indianapolis Colts denied a rumor today that they had signed first- round draft pick Cornelius Bennett, the No. 2 selection overall in the NFL draft.
The signing was announced on ABC-TV’s ″Good Morning America″ show, and today’s Indianapolis Star reported the Colts were close to signing the former Alabama linebacker.
″The Indianapolis Colts have received a new contract proposal from Richard Woods on behalf of his client, Cornelius Bennett. We will review the proposal and prepare an appropriate response,″ the Colts said in a prepared statement today. ″Contrary to news reports and rumors, we are not close at this time to consummating an agreement.″
Woods sent a five-year, $4 million contract proposal to the team, the newspaper reported. The proposal, which arrived at the Colts’ complex Wednesday morning, reportedly calls for Bennett to receive a $1.5 million signing bonus and a salary of $300,000 this year with a $100,000 increase each year through 1991.
Colts General Manager Jim Irsay returned from a league meeting in Kansas City to study the offer but had no comment when he left the complex Wednesday.
″We’ve essentially agreed to all of their demands,″ said Woods, an attorney from Mobile, Ala. ″We gave in on three of the four major hangups in last week’s negotiations and are ready to fly to Indianapolis so Cornelius can go to work.″