Related topics

Gunman Shoots Two in Building, Seizes Hostages Before Surrendering

January 5, 1996

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) _ A man who opened fire with an assault rifle in a Portland parking garage, wounding two men, surrendered to authorities Thursday after holing up in a brokerage office with four hostages.

The unidentified gunman, shirtless and handcuffed, was led from the building to a police car about four hours after the standoff began.

Police said the gunman had been fired from his job as a deliveryman after having problems with the female employees of a company in the office tower.

``He was angry at these women and decided he was going to go there and shoot them,″ said police Lt. C.W. Jensen.

Witnesses said the man, who was wearing military fatigues and a black beret, left the garage after the shooting and entered the lobby of the 30-story KOIN Tower.

There, witnesses said, he began firing at officers, who were responding to building alarms, seized a hostage and barged into the Charles Schwab brokerage, where he took more hostages.

Stockbroker Ken Aiken was released about two hours after the standoff began. A woman was released after another 1 1/2 hours. The remaining two women were let go shortly before the gunman surrendered.

Alan Kolkemo, 24, of Beaverton, was shot twice in the back. Howard Barley, 45, of Milwaukie, was shot three or four times in the leg. Both were in fair condition at University Hospital.

One Charles Schwab employee, Kori Allen, 34, was treated for a head injury that she suffered while trying to get out of the building.

According to one witness, the man began ordering people into the Charles Schwab office after the building alarms went off and the elevators were shut down.

At one point, he threw down his rifle and pulled a handgun from a bag, said the KOIN-TV employee who spoke on condition of anonymity. The station has its offices in the basement of the building.

``I didn’t take him seriously. He seemed real fidgety. He didn’t seem to have control,″ said the woman, who was able to escape through a back exit.

Nick Mayer, who works for AT&T Capital, another tenant in the building, said he saw the gunman grab a woman from behind and heard shots as he ran out of the building.

``I came down the stairs and saw a guy with fatigue pants and a rifle with a scope on it. I heard shots. He was shouting, `Come here,′ at me,″ Mayer said.

Soon after the shooting, police closed off streets around the tower, which is one block from the Willamette River waterfront. Its tenants include several major law firms. It also houses a six-screen movie theater and 11 floors of condominium units.

Update hourly