Bangladesh Slum Fire Injures 40
DHAKA, Bangladesh (AP) _ At least 40 people were injured and hundreds of poor people were left homeless Wednesday after a fire gutted 1,500 bamboo-and-tin huts in a city slum.
The fire may have been triggered by an electrical short circuit due to unauthorized power connection in the shantytown near Dhaka’s Tejgaon industrial area, said a fire department official who spoke on condition he not be named.
Five people with burn injuries were taken to the state-run Dhaka Medical College Hospital. Thirty-five others were given first aid, hospital sources said.